The D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship offers women in their sophomore year of undergraduate study a unique educational opportunity over three days at the firm’s New York City headquarters. The fellowship will include an introduction to our firm, insights into the intersection of finance and technology, and several professional and social networking opportunities. Fellows will also receive a $1,500 stipend, accommodations, and travel to and from New York City.
Fellows will participate in a content-driven curriculum of interactive case studies and seminars led by notable speakers and the firm’s own analysts. Additionally, fellows will interact with senior leaders of the firm and discuss career paths in finance with recent hires and long-tenured employees. There will also be opportunities to socialize with employees and other fellows during lunch and learns and excursions in New York City.
Intellectually curious women from all disciplines with a strong academic record, demonstrated history of achievements, and keen interest in exploring the intersection of finance and technology should apply. In order to be nominated, potential fellows must be students in their second year of a full-time undergraduate program at a U.S. college or university during the spring of 2019.
We are accepting both self-nominations from eligible undergraduates and nominations from college or university faculty members or administrators. All nominations must include the following:
- A resume that includes the candidate’s GPA, course of study, and any record of achievement or distinctions
- An unofficial transcript
- One of the following written statements:
- For self-nominations: In 150 words or less, describe your interest in this opportunity or what makes you a compelling candidate.
- For faculty nominations: In 150 words or less, describe why you think the student should be considered for this fellowship.
Please email all submissions to email@example.com with “D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship” in the subject line.
- All nominations are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, March 24, 2019.
- Fellows will be selected and notified by late April.
- The D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship will begin in the early afternoon on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, and end by late afternoon on Friday, May 24, 2019.
- How will fellows be selected?
- Decisions will be based solely on the candidate’s resume, unofficial transcript, and personal statement or recommendation. We will not be conducting interviews.
- I don’t know anything about finance. Can I still apply?
- Definitely! The D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship is open to students from all academic disciplines, including students without a background in finance.
- Can I get school credit for participating?
- No. The D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship is not eligible for school credit.
- Do I need to be a current sophomore to apply?
- Yes. The D. E. Shaw Discovery Fellowship is for women who will have just completed their sophomore year of undergraduate studies (Class of 2021).
- Can I apply to both the Discovery Fellowship and the Latitude Fellowship?
- Yes, you are welcome to submit an application to both (or just one). You will need to submit your application materials to both relevant email addresses if you apply to both fellowships. Visit this link for details on applying for the Latitude Fellowship. Accepted applicants can participate in one of the D. E. Shaw group's fellowship per calendar year.
- My question isn’t answered here. Whom should I contact?
- If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.